My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds.
If not, visit http://jessicabrody.com/blog
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

In Memory of Blake Snyder and John Hughes


What a sad, sad week.

I know most of you know who John Hughes is. He pretty much shaped my pre-adolescent years with films like Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Sixteen Candles (my personal favorite--oh, Jake Ryan) and The Breakfast Club, but less of you might know who Blake Snyder is.

He happens to be a hero of mine. A screenwriter/teacher/story guru who wrote a marvelous book called Save the Cat which incorporates a tool that no novelist, screenwriter or storyteller should live without. It's called the Blake Snyder Beat Sheet (or the BS2, to those of us die hard fans!) And it's a 15-point format that can pretty much be applied to ANY Hollywood blockbuster. I use it to outline all of my books and screenplays. Check out my For Writers page to read more about my Blake Snyder Obsession.


Well, both Blake Snyder and John Hughes passed away this week from a cardiac arrest, leaving behind legacies that will be remembered for generations. Every time I outline a new book I will remember Blake and what he has done for me and writers everywhere.

No comments:

Blog Description

Jessica Brody, author of the forthcoming novel, The Fidelity Files, explores the thorny topic of infidelity in modern-day society